Does the new DirectX 9 add UPnP support for even old games?

wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Does the new DirectX 9 add UPnP support for even old games?

Post by wsware »

From the News Groups:
Mark: Does the new DirectX 9 add UPnP support for even old games? This
a pretty good move in the right direction if it does.
Yes, DirectX 9 adds UPnP support even for old DirectPlay games. It is now
the preferred method of NAT negotiation in DirectPlay.

--
Mark Kenworthy
Group Program Manager
DirectX
Kim

So, has anyone tried this out?

Post by Kim »

Now, this is getting interesting...lol.... MS fixing their own problems :D

Anyway, has anyone else apart from me tried this DX9 out yet?

I checked out DX9 a couple of weeks back, it worked... for a few short games (since i was just testing the connection) but then it stoped working! :evil:

Anyway, here is what i tested when it worked:

2 PC's behind a linksys router - PC#1 and PC#2 both has DX9 installed

1 PC 400miles away, also behind a linksys router - PC#3 has DX8.1 installed

PC#1 host and PC#2 and PC#3 can both join, on Zone.com with no DXPort or any port fowarding!

PC#2 host and PC#1 and PC#3 can both join, on Zone.com with no DXPort or any port fowarding!

PC#3 host and PC#1 and PC#2 can both join, on Zone.com with no DXPort or any port fowarding!

When I was testing, I can see that UPnP were creating ports and closing them as i opened and left the games. The hosting ports was forwarded to the IP address of 192.168.1.255 and allowed any PC on the network to host games.

This worked for about 4 games (testing games) and then for some reason it stopped working. Refusing to connect to any game at all weather i was using dxport or not! The only way to be able to play again was to uninstall DX9 completely from the pc's.

Now, Im not sure why it stopped working, because if it worked the first few times... i dont see why it should stop working.

Can anyone else test this out so that we can have futher insight into this?

Kim
bobcatben

Post by bobcatben »

i dont know if mechwarrior 4 vengance uses directplay or not but i cant join game with it even with dx9 and upnp, weird cause i used to be months ago, but it just stoped all the sudden, even before dx9 so i dont know if that has anything todo with it :?
wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware »

sounds like you installed some kind of firewall software? Do you run any type of internet security?
bobcatben

Post by bobcatben »

no firewall, i'am behind a hardware router though, which it worked before with the router, even in the dmz i cant join thouhg :?
bobcatben

Post by bobcatben »

ok... heres the stuff :P i couldnt join TA with DX9 with my old port triggers open, but once i closed and disabled all port tiggers etc it worked perfectly, with no ports manuly opened, and! now that the manual port opening is off i can even join mech warrior again, yay! :lol:

DX9 RULES!!!! :) ps. i still cant host TA but my cousin can(also DX9 and no ports open) and i can join his though
Reckless

DX9 - UPnP for Windows 2000 it would seem

Post by Reckless »

Hiya,

Just thought I'd respond with my findings! I've got a new router firmware version (D-Link DSL-504) and it now supports UPnP. Since I installed DX9 I'd seen that trying to start a session or connect to a (LAN based) remote one was taking ages (over a minute to). I had a look at the ports open on my machine and there were loads to my router - all terminated at port 80. Bizzare I thought so I ran a packet monitor to see what was going on.

Originating from my PC is a SSDP discovery message to which the router has responded with an XML format data block detailing router details. From then, there's a few more exchanges, etc. I've not looked into these too much but I'll disable my manual port redirections tonight and try to get a successful connection going. For testing on the LAN I've turned UPnP off and it's back to instant connections once more.

All being well, it may be that Win2K (by way of DX9) could have UPnP :)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Had another test tonight...

I disabled the manual port redirections and enabled UPnP on the router (D-Link DSL-504) and started a CMR2 server.

My friend couldn't see the session so I checked to see what ports had been redirected by UPnP. 2300 and 2350 but NOT 47624 so it was no wonder he couldn't see the session! I added this as a manual redirection and he could then connect!! Anyone know if this is expected behaviour of UPnP & DirectX.
CowboyGuy

DirectX, ports

Post by CowboyGuy »

47624 showed up under UPnP listing after I installed one of the Microsoft games on my WinXP machine, and never went away.... it is also set to forward to 192.168.1.255. My guess is that one never changes and so the game install manages it. Was it there when you started removing manual entries when you first tried to launch with DirectX?

I'm still running DirectX 8.? but having problems joining others outside my router. It appears to join, but we dont actually see each other in game - now I'm wondering if DirectX9 is the answer, and will I need DXPort at all with DirectX9?

Don't get me wrong, I like DXPort... just wondering if I need it.
wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware »

If your router has UPnP and DirectX9 was like they say it will you will not not need DXport. DXport is a hack to help fix a problem. We would all be happy if DXport was never needed.

I can say that our time and effort has been much more than the $20 we have recieved in donations, but it has made a lot of people happy.
wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware »

Also let me know if you can't get your game working.. I'll be glad to help.

Post by guest »

Hi I have the 2 computers, the linksysBefsr41 router and downloaded dxport i did follow the directions but only one comp can host or join the other does launch through as host but nobody can join it inside or out. I tried to ip to the one that can't host or join and that worked. I am left wondering if i will ever be able to use both comps on the zone in the same game for Age of Empires. I noticed on the set-up for the linksys router you have screenshots of, it says under the set-up tag on Wan type connection obtain automatically whereas I have my router configured to use PPPoe. Also I saw some post about the DCHP setting needing to disabled?!? Maybe I am just a fool, but I love this game and so do a few of my good friends and we want to game online in the same game at the same time over this router using your program which seems to have helped so many.
wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware »

guest wrote:Hi I have the 2 computers, the linksysBefsr41 router and downloaded dxport i did follow the directions but only one comp can host or join the other does launch through as host but nobody can join it inside or out. I tried to ip to the one that can't host or join and that worked. I am left wondering if i will ever be able to use both comps on the zone in the same game for Age of Empires. I noticed on the set-up for the linksys router you have screenshots of, it says under the set-up tag on Wan type connection obtain automatically whereas I have my router configured to use PPPoe. Also I saw some post about the DCHP setting needing to disabled?!? Maybe I am just a fool, but I love this game and so do a few of my good friends and we want to game online in the same game at the same time over this router using your program which seems to have helped so many.
You will not be able to host and let the other computer join. This router does not allow that. Both players need to join a remote host. You can use DHCP, but you will have to check your port forwarding everytime you reboot to bee sure your IP did not change. also if you have any triggers setup for this game be sure to remove them.

Post by Guest »

thanks for your response I have set my ip's internally so they should not change.... right?? Maybe the router still makes a new ip for itself every so often but does that matter? By reemote host do you mean we both need to use the ip join function on the main screen of AOC or do you mean simply join another persons hosted game and have them launch on the zone, because I have tried to have both comps join someone elses game without triumph. In fact the only comp that is able to host others/join others/and ip into the non hostig/joining comp is running DX7.1. The comp with issues is running DX9.0.
I have disabled UPnP on the router still nada I have no triggers on and oddly I was always able to use the functining comp regardless of dxport/port triggering/portforwarding/dmz hosting etc.
__EviL_Deer__

Post by __EviL_Deer__ »

ok so the comp that won't launch that has the dx9.0 is also set on the router to be the one able to host, yet the other comp is the one that is able to host. I have succeeded in joining the non-hosting comp via ip with the hostworthy comp. i think this is a positive step. (What I mean by joining via exactly is: I launched the game on the zone got a failed to join by the dx7.1 comp then i started the age of conq game seperately and joined via the games interface)