You say DX9 good, I say DX9 bad

Mike

You say DX9 good, I say DX9 bad

Post by Mike »

After a ton of work, I got AOE and AOK working behind my LinksysBEFSR41 router on the internet with multiple computers in the same game along with others, even hosting as long as nobody else on the router was in the same game. THANK YOU DXPORT FOR THIS! I've posted many times here when I was trying to get this to work and haven't posted in a while since it has been working! But, my roommate had still never been able to get into games like I and my friend could. He couldn't get into internet games period, with or without us in the same game, with or without hosting. We tried many things (killing every background program, double checking IP, ports opened etc. and it matched just fine how we did our comps which worked). Then after trying off and on for weeks we finally noticed he had DirectX 9 and we had 8.1 . I then looked up some stuff on DX9 and even came here and saw what great things it did, we decided to get DX9 on our comps as well hoping it might change my roommate's situation (just maybe). WELL GUESS WHAT, NONE OF US CAN PLAY ANY INTERNET AOE GAMES NOW WITH DX9. Tried every combination with dxport off, on, ports opened, closed since you said it worked without opening ports even (how the hell). I don't think you can downgrade directx as well, even though they have the old directxs at ms's site, so I'm screwed for life. I still have to thank puffinsoft, this is the only place to talk about stuff like this, everyone else is oblivious, even that stupid nibblesnbits zone help site. OK, any suggestions?

Mike

PS, do you know how things could suddenly appear in the upnp forwarding page of my linksys router settings? Some program is putting stuff in there and enabling it sometimes. There is dplaysvr, port 47624 (which is the hosting port I've used) enabled for 192.168.1.255. Also dpnsvr, port 6073 (that port I believe is for DX8 games though I've not used it). So what are these doing in there, any ideas? :evil:
Mike

Post by Mike »

apparently more than just my friends and I are having problems like this. My friend is finding stuff in forums about people not being able to host now, not play at all like me as well. We found a DirectX9 uninstaller :)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2935&cat=28

yet to try it but it should do the trick, stuff worked fine in DX8.1 - now just have to get directx8.1 on my friends computer which has always had 9.
wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware »

DirectX9 is trying to set everything up for you.. I guess it does not work that well :( I'm sure we were all hoping that microsoft would fix this stuff. One thing you can try if you want to keep DirectX 9 is to turn UPnP off on the router, this will prevent DirectX 9 from screwing with it.

I kinda like the concept of UPnP but I think that some day someone is going to write a virus that takes advantage of it and opens up any port it wants to your computer. To me it's almost as bad as DMZ.
__EviL_Deer__

DXPORT ROX!!!!!!!!

Post by __EviL_Deer__ »

OK DXPORT works for me. I run windows ME on both comps I can have two comps join a game on the zone, get to the game without 30 pings and then I can even guess what,..... Play the derned thing whilst peeking over my shoulder and watching my buddy play too!!!! I have the befsr41 linksys router I cannot host and have the other comp join that game but we can join any other games together. I did have to toss my Directx 9.0 though and this is how a microsoft employee told me to do it:

(Be aware I also found a site where you can get DX version 8.1 so skip the gleaning of your cd if you want.)

DX 8.1 site: www.voodoofiles.com/5092

I have a few steps to reinstall the older version of DirectX on the system.

Copy DirectX from the Game CD to Your Desktop (Or copy DirectX 8.1 if you have
it in some game CD or other product see above ref.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Insert the Age of Empires: Age of Kings Disc 1 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
Press and hold down the SHIFT key when you insert the CD-ROM to prevent the
program from starting automatically.

Note: If the game runs automatically, cancel or exit the window.

3. Double-click My Computer, right-click the game disc icon, and click Open.

4. Right-click DirectX folder and choose Copy.

5. Close all the windows.

6. Right-click anywhere on your Desktop and choose Paste.

7. When copy process is complete, lets exit to Safe mode.

Step 2: Exit to Safe Mode
-------------------------
To do this, use the appropriate method for your version of Microsoft Windows:

Restart Windows 98 or Windows Me:

Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after the computer
completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then select Safe Mode from the
Startup menu. When Windows starts in Safe mode, click OK.

Note: When you are in Safe mode the words "Safe mode" appear in all four corners
of the screen.

Step 3: Remove DirectX registry key
------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT: This response contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you
understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information
about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the foll
owing article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;Q256986

To delete the DirectX registry keys:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and
then click OK.
3. Click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectPlay
4. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
5. In the "File name" box, type "DPlay.reg" (without the quotation
marks).
6. Click Save.
7. Right-click the DirectPlay registry key, and then click Delete.
8. Click Yes, to confirm the deletion.
9. Click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectX
10. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
11. In the "File name" box, type "DX.reg" (without the quotation marks).
12. Click Save.
13. Right-click the DirectX registry key, and then click Delete.
14. Click Yes, to confirm the deletion.
15. Quit Registry Editor.
16. Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Re-Install Older DirectX
------------------------------
To reinstall DirectX follow these steps:

1. Double-click DirectX folder on your Desktop.
2. Double-click Dxsetup.exe.
3. When prompted "This will install Microsoft DirectX. "Do you wish to
continue?", click Yes. Click Yes again to accept the License Agreement and then
follow directions on your screen.
5. Reboot when prompted.
6. When you get back to Windows, start the game. Please feel free to inform me
of the status of the issue after trying the steps above.

Please feel free to inform me of the status of the issue after trying the step
above.

Hope this helps somebody as this DX 9.0 uninstaller thing looks complicated.
Mike

DX9 Uninstaller works great!

Post by Mike »

The DX9 uninstaller I posted the link for above isn't complicated at all. That stuff you just listed is pretty damn complicated though. I would much rather have an uninstaller (although 3rd party) do all this than do it manually. This is for windows XP and you'll need the XP cd so it can install the directx 8.1 off of that. You can get DX8.2 from Microsoft's site if you really want to.

It worked great, once booted back to normal mode and looked up DXDIAG it said I had 8.1 and all was well, I was back to playing AOE online with other players on the router as well as other zone players in the same game with DXPORT turned on.

However, the guy who's computer had DX9 originally still could not play in these games after downgrading to 8.1 like I did. That computer remains a mystery. My friend has brought over like 3 different computer creations of his and they have worked fine.
__EviL_Deer__

Post by __EviL_Deer__ »

the steps i listed are just verbatum from the microsoft dude. you don't have to go into safe mode or save your reg keys just delete them and install dx 8.1, very easy. I do think the uninstaller was confusing and since I had done this on my own prior to downloading the uninstaller I could see the difference. As far as I am concerned deleting your reg keys and installing DX is way easier. Of course posting instructions using the safe mode is only prudent. Happy gaming.
Mike

Post by Mike »

no, my way's better. LOL