SMC 7004VBR router, need some assistance.

Support forum for general networking problems

Moderator: PuffinSoft

Robilar

SMC 7004VBR router, need some assistance.

Post by Robilar » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi. I was hoping to get some advice on how to get the DXPort App working. I play a game called Age of Wonders Shadow Magic. The forum I participate in has several members who have used DXPort and have raved that it allows them to host from behind a router (my situation). I have a SMC 7004VBR Router (with the 1.02 bios) with 2 systems connected for internet sharing although my system is the only one to be used with this game. I will be hosting to two others through the internet. The game uses direct IP connection (and at this point I can join others games but they cannot see my IP. Windows XP Pro shows my new IP address as that of the router. My internet provider is cable based with a fixed IP address). I read through the forums where it was discussed that you have to forward the ports, and something regarding "NAT". I went into the setup of the router but I have no clue from there. I was able to insure that firewall was disabled, but beyond that I am essentially helpless. Any advice would be much appreciated. I will also add my endorsement to the Age of Wonders Heaven forum as there are quite a few members in my situation.

thanks

wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Re: SMC 7004VBR router, need some assistance.

Post by wsware » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:00 pm

Robilar wrote:Windows XP Pro shows my new IP address as that of the router.
I'm not sure I understand this.. your router will have an internal and external address. internal adddress usually are 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x Be sure you tell people your external address.

Robilar

Post by Robilar » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:30 pm

My apologies. The router address (called a "barricade") is 192.168.2.1 . Hope this helps.

wsware
PuffinSoft
PuffinSoft

Post by wsware » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:03 pm

To connect by IP when you host you need to tell them your external IP address. You can check it at places like.. http://www.whatismyip.com/

Robilar

Post by Robilar » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:39 pm

I understand that but the problem is that the game will not work from either the internal (router default ip) or external (the one provided by my internet company). I assumed that the DXport would allow some sort of translation between the two (and it must as there are a couple of guys on the game forum that say it works but i have been unable to get any feedback from them). I guess my problem is that I do not understand the mechanics of forwarding available ports from the internal to the external (if that makes sense). guess i'll just do without, thanks anyhow.